Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm Not Afraid of Color!!!

As an interior decorator, I can appreciate the many different styles used in homes today. From traditional to contemporary, eclectic to polished, soft color palettes to those bursting with color. In my own home, I guess you could call it " traditional eclectic, with pops of color". Even though I really like "all white" shabby look, I have not been able to envision my home in this style. I've got to have my color fix! I have been wanting to redo several rooms in our house, and now that I have you, I thought it would be fun to bring you along for the journey..... the slow journey! I have so enjoyed watching what others are are doing in thier spaces, so here goes!   I am going to start with our guest bathroom. It's small enough and just needs a little perking up. I love giving powder rooms and guest bathrooms that unexpected pop. We installed a wonderful black and cream toile wallpaper.( Yes,wallpaper is making a comeback!)
Wallpaper by Thibaut
The cabinets were custom made by the previous owners, but I never liked the color stain they used on them. It was way to orange for my liking. The counter tops were a very ugly green Formica ( sorry no picture of that!).We replaced them with "black pearl" granite.
Is that orange or what?
Our next quick fix addition was a light fixture, mirror, and towel racks. These were all spray painted in a satin black. This room was slowly coming together
Getting there
OK, so I still do not like those cabinets. The changes we made in the room made the wood even more orange. What to do.... what to do???? COLOR! It needs a color! Black?.....no to much of a good thing already. Cream?.....no then we have a black and white theme, BORING! Ahhhhh..... Annie Sloan to the rescue!! Provance, it has to be Provance! Just the punch of color I want!!!
WOW!
Yes, it is bright, but that was just what I was looking for... the unexpected! I went ahead and kept the crystal knobs since I actually liked them. I also added a new oriental rug on the floor.

Almost there

Love the green bunnie.
By using a few ironstone platters, two colorful pressed glass containers (love the rabbit), a candlestick  lamp, and a little artwork I completed my "not to cluttered" acessorizing.  



Please overlook the dangling cord!
I really like this batroom now and so do my guests.....What do you think??? 

2 comments:

gwendolyn... said...

Very Lovely!!

Wendy said...

Hey Cindy! I have enjoyed your posts but you need to share more! Your house is awesome...there's at least a 100 posts in that den of yours! One day, I want you to show us your treasures from storage too. :) When your Mr. mentioned, "You should see our storage room!" I've been imagining the "Cave of Wonders" ever since! Thanks again for your hospitality and PAINT! So glad to have crossed paths with you over CHALK PAINT! It is indeed a small world. :)
P.S. You need to put a party dress on your blog like you did your red table. You might like some of the free things at Graphicsfairy.com and Shabbyblogs.com has free headers and backgrounds and much more. No need to be a computer/blog whiz to download those! Trust me!